- All riders L3 and above must have their own riding hat that has been professionally fitted and complies with current regulations.
- L3 and above riders cannot borrow hats from the riding stables.
- All riders below L3 are advised to purchase their own hat, but will still be able to borrow a hat if required – however we do have a £2 hire charge which is payable on booking your lesson.
- If you haven't booked a hat with your lesson and opt to pay on the day, the charge is £5
- All privately owned hats will be checked and tagged by Reception so that our instructors are aware they have been checked for compliance. Please do not remove the tag!
Why is this policy important?
Properly fitted personal safety equipment provides our riders with a better level of protection, should the worst happen and also a greater level of comfort. Our insurers also require us to enforce our policy regarding safety equipment.
Purchasing a hat:
Anyone who’s considering buying a new riding hat should visit a BETA-trained retailer like RB Equestrian for a free, personalised hat fitting, plus all the advice and information you need to choose the most suitable hat to match your needs and budget.
It’s never a good idea to purchase or borrow a second-hand hat with an unknown history.
Riders in hats that do not meet current safety standards will not be allowed to ride.
We recommend RB Equestrian which stocks a broad range of hats at a variety of price points, starting from around £47.
As ongoing supporters of Ride High, RB have provided discount vouchers for our regular clients: There is one 10% discount voucher per person. These are only applicable to safety equipment such as hats or back protectors and can’t be used with any other promotions or vouchers and are only for clients who ride with us on a regular (at least monthly) basis. Please ask at Reception for your discount voucher.
RB Equestrian’s fitters are trained and if you have purchased a hat from them, they are also happy to recheck your hat’s fit and adjust it if necessary, as padding can become compressed, free of charge.
Not all hats sold in the UK comply with the safety standards. When purchasing your new hat, check to see that the correct safety standards are present. We will accept hats that conform to standards: VG1 or PAS 015.
Body Protectors provide a good general level of protection and are compulsory for jumping. If you are riding in L3 and above classes your lessons may include jumping, so all riders must wear a body protector for their lesson.
Like riding hats, body protectors should comply with current standards and be correctly fitted. RB Equestrian have a good range of body protectors and will be able to advise on suitability and fit if you would like to buy one from new.
We also have a small range of used body protectors that meet current safety standards available for sale in Reception – if this is of interest, please contact Reception to arrange a time to pop in and be fitted.
[Policy page updated January 2022]